In order to be eligible for this position, candidates should meet these key requirements at the moment of applying:
meet the general requirements outlined in article V.106, V.107 and V.148 of the Flemish ‘Higher Education Codex’ of 20 December 2013:
- be a citizen of a member state of the European Union or of the European Free Trade Association (exceptions can be made in line with article V.107 of the Codex: “By way of derogation […], for the sake of education and research, the university college board may, on the basis of a detailed justification, also appoint persons who are not nationals of a Member State of the European Union or of the European Free Trade Association as a member of staff.”);
- have full civil and political rights;
- have the required formal qualifications;
- conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with the requirements of the function;
- comply with conscription law requirements;
- possess the physical fitness required for the function.
hold a master’s degree or a recognized equivalent thereof.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- to conduct doctoral research in the arts, in collaboration with Ghent University, for at least 70% of the full-time appointment;
- to assist in activities of educational support and student guidance within the relevant field at KASK & Conservatorium/HOGENT, for no more than 30% of the full-time appointment.
- you actively work on developing a personal artistic body of work that meets international standards;
- you have an artistic practice with a strong research component and investigative attitude;
- you have the skills required to successfully complete a long-term research project;
- you take a keen interest in communicating about your personal artistic output and in the verbal expression of its contexts;
- you have pedagogic and didactic skills, demonstrable competency relevant for higher education;
- in light of your teaching tasks and institutional internationalization, you have an active command of English and you are willing to gain the required certificate (B1 English) within the first year of your appointment;
- you communicate fluently in Dutch or are willing to gain the required certificate (B2 Dutch) within five years of the start of your appointment; an integration track will be offered;
- you show involvement with HOGENT in general and the KASK & Conservatorium project in particular.
Initial appointment will commence no sooner than 1 October 2022 and is for a period of two years, with the possibility of two two-year extensions of the contract upon positive evaluation (if exceptional circumstances would require such, an additional one-year extension is possible in line with article V.141 of the ‘Higher Education Codex’).
Remuneration according to wage scale 508. See the website of the Flemish department of Education for more information concerning this wage scale with respect to seniority:
In addition to public sector seniority, private sector seniority can also be taken into account. Seniority will be granted on the basis of certified employment attestations and after examination of the case.
Reimbursement of public transportation commuting or cycle allowance, an attractive sports offer, and staff ID with additional benefits.
APPLICATIONS AND RECRUITMENT
Applying for this position is possible up until, and including 25 October 2021, and only through https://www.hogent.be/vacatures. Only complete applications submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Your application is addressed to Koen Goethals, acting dean of KASK & Conservatorium and must consist of the following documents in order to be complete:
- Curriculum vitae [lastname_1_cv.pdf]
- Cover letter [lastname_2_letter.pdf]
- Scans of required qualifications: at least a master’s degree or an equivalent. In case of equivalent qualification or foreign degrees, be sure to add a statement of equivalence. [lastname_3_degree.pdf]
Project proposal [lastname_4_project.pdf] Use only the template available here:
NL:[ http://schoolofartsgent.be/assets/files/paginas/files/docform_NL_4_project_I.docx ]
EN:[ http://schoolofartsgent.be/assets/files/paginas/files/docform_EN_4_project_I.docx ]
- Artistic portfolio (or a text file with a link to your portfolio in order to limit file size) [lastname_5_portfolio.pdf]
Info and procedure
From those applications that meet the entry requirements, a first selection will be made on the basis of artistic portfolio and research abstract, considering criteria of artistic quality, research potential, and complementarity with the profiles of the school of arts and its programmes and departments.
Candidates selected for the second round will be appointed a (provisional) supervisor at KASK & Conservatorium in the course of December 2021. This supervisor will guide the candidate in the process of completing a full (6-year) project application and selecting a second supervisor at Ghent University. From these applications, a number of candidates will be selected for the final interviews.
The interviews are scheduled for early May 2022. Candidates who are not selected will be notified upon completion of the entire procedure.
A practical guide with more information on the PhD in the arts at KASK & Conservatorium and specifically on applying for this function can be found on this page of our website: http://schoolofartsgent.be/en/research/how-to-apply-for-a-researching-position/. Candidates are advised to read through this document carefully. Any remaining questions may be addressed to David Depestel (email@example.com) at the KASK & Conservatorium research office.
KASK & Conservatorium and HOGENT wish to reflect the society it works for in the best possible way. Candidates will be selected on the basis of their professional qualities and skills, regardless of gender, ethnicity or handicap.